We live loud, busy lives. Going, going, going all the time on the outside with noisy minds on the inside. How can we find any quiet spaces in our lives? How can we calm our inner world? It’s not easy but I found a way. And if I did, you can find your quiet too.
Every day I have a designated “quiet time”. It’s time by myself where I go to connect to the Love that heals. I read, pray, listen to music and speak daily affirmations. I enjoy it.
But some days my quiet time isn’t so quiet.
Some days, I have a hard time quieting myself. Thoughts racing, emotions all over the place and my body fidgety. I’ll read my daily affirmations and scriptures but be distracted by all the inner noise.
Sometimes I listen to more music to calm me and it doesn’t work.But some days my quiet time isn’t so quiet. Click To Tweet
How do I get myself to be internally quiet?
I read an article that inspired me to give quiet meditation a try.
I’ll explain how it works but first I need to tell you about the grace. The grace in the article is what inspired me.
I’m a task-oriented person so if I’m going to meditate then I’m gonna do it right! That’s how the oppressive perfectionist overworker in me approaches things. I’ve been known to try so hard I hurt myself.
I need grace.
- Grace said start small with just one or two minutes.
- Grace said to use a timer.
- Grace said you’ll get distracted and that’s ok. It’s even normal.
- Grace said it will take time and practice.
You’re supposed to do it every day so I decided on 2 minutes each day.I need grace. Click To Tweet
How did I do?
I failed to remember to take 2 minutes every day even though I had it written down.
I failed to consider it a priority.
I failed to remember it worked when I did practice it.
- Grace reminded me I had practiced the meditation half the time.
- Grace reminded me being distracted is normal.
- Grace reminded me I found a measure of quiet.
- Grace said just try again.
I stopped beating myself with the perfectionist stick and tried again.I stopped beating myself with the perfectionist stick and tried again. Click To Tweet
How grace led me to my quiet
Some days the inner noise is louder than others. This was one of those days.
I had a whirlwind of inner noise when I remembered the quiet meditation I was supposed to be doing daily.
It took four tries in one day but grace led me to the quiet I needed.
The first time I failed to turn the timer on. The second time my attitude was wrong. The third time was later, after trying to calm myself by pacing and quietly praying.
The fourth time I was committed.
- I sat myself down and put my phone on airplane mode.
- I set the timer and did what the article taught me.
- Sit still with eyes closed and breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out.
- Focus on the breath. When thoughts come focus on your breath and dismiss the thoughts.
It’s hard work to empty your mind and focus on nothing.It’s hard work to empty your mind and focus on nothing. Click To Tweet
Grace is allowing yourself to be ok with thoughts that come – just return to the breath. The goal is to develop awareness. This awareness gives us power.
Are you aware you’re tense? Notice it and breathe.
- I noticed tingling in my body from stress. Breathe.
- I noticed my hands on my lap were tense, tight-fisted. Breathe.
- I moved my arms to a place they could relax better. Breathe.
Going from thought to breath is like a dance.
Before I knew it the timer went off. I wanted to turn it back on again because I found my quiet and liked it there.
But I can’t live in the practice of quiet meditation—I have to learn how to take it with me.I can’t live in the practice of quiet meditation—I have to learn how to take it with me. Click To Tweet
How finding your quiet will help you
This quiet meditation teaches you how to govern over your thoughts and make room for quiet. The quiet also calms your body. This is good self-care.
Learning to create an inner quiet empowers you to be more intentional in your life. The rat race around you won’t find a home within you. Your life will have more peace.
Being able to quiet your soul enables you to hear the Spirit of Grace when he quietly speaks to you. This will bring you joy.Your life will have more peace. Click To Tweet
- Take ONE minute. That’s all, just one minute. Put your phone in airplane mode. Find a spot where you can be undisturbed for that ONE minute. Set a timer for one minute and sit. Close your eyes and simply breathe.
- After you do this let me know what you think.
- Dare to decide you’re worth taking a minute to find your quiet – free download here.
Can I send you this?
Free download of Dare to Believe.